Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DIY wedding flower bouquet

For our wedding, I made my own flower bouquet. I was absolutely crazy. I very much underestimated the time it would take me because I also decided it was a good idea to make my three bridesmaid bouquets as well. Which, I do think makes a nice keepsake. I definitely wanted to have something to hold on to forever with my bouquet. There was a lot of trial and error since I'd never made one before, but I'll give you a brief overview.
Photo by ee photography

Basic supplies:
1. Bouquet holder-This is from Save-on-crafts. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. I just used a plain straight one since I was planning to cover it.
2. Floral picks and sprays-This is the exact one I used from Hobby Lobby. You can split each of them up in a couple of bunches of three.
3. Fabrics-The white one is Nylon Chiffon from Amazon and the purple one is Satin. Nylon is very flammable so keep away from heat! I bought my lace from Joann's. It was definitely my priciest fabric, but it was so pretty I couldn't resist.
4. Satin ribbon-This one is from Joann Fabrics. Hobby Lobby has a great selection too. 

Extras: Boutonnière pins, floral wire, matte acrylic spray, ostrich feather sticks (from Hobby Lobby!) and vintage jewelry.

I used three types of flowers:

1. A pretty multi-layered white "rose" using satin. I got the template from Martha of course. I did about 7 layers for each flower, bunched up the bottoms and sewed them around a wire floral stem.
2. For the purple ones, I cut out a circle. You can find a template online or use a glass to trace. Then I cut lines starting from the outside to the center. Don't cut all the way through the circle, but you can round the edges if you want. Then, we used a heat source to roll up the edges a little bit. This step isn't really necessary if you don't have the patience! Then, I stuck them in the foam with boutonnière pins. I used "diamond" top ones from Save-on-crafts. We made the flowers in various sizes. Here's what the basic template looks like:


3. The white ones with lace I made the same way as the purple, just larger. However, I used layers of chiffon and lace. I also used a "diamond" floral stick as my center. I just stick that through a hole in all the layers. No sewing on this one. I did spray the flowers when they were done with a sealer to stiffen them and then I hung them upside down to dry.
Now, here's my big secret:
This is your average everyday toilet paper holder! I wrapped satin ribbon around it and glued underneath the last edge. Then I wrapped a strip of lace around it and glued. Last, I added a vintage earring for a little sparkle. Again, hot glue it.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It looks like something you would buy in a wedding shop!

    www.AllThingsTangled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's really pretty! You did a great job.
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness me, that really looks great - your patience must be endless. To make one version would be enough for me, but 3 others as well!

    Still as a keepsake, it will be valued by all 4 of your I'm sure.

    Have just "met" you on the Blogging Buddies forum site, and will be following your posts: hope you'll do the same for me, once the wedding is over! You can find me at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com, where I post about making, mending and otherwise creating toys (which I then try to sell at www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com). Hope to see you at one or both (hopefully) sites soon.

    Meanwhile, have a really wonderful day - if it's not yet arrived!

    All the best. Isobel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody!

    Isobel-Thanks for stopping by! I'll be sure to check out your blog real soon! It was so much work, I was pulling my hair out by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out just lovely and I love your tutorials + pictures ! Nicely done - well worth the time :)

    Kate (via BYW ! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! I love these kinds of bouquets because you can keep them forever. If I could do it again I'd probably make a brooch bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Premium wedding flowers from the finest U.S. growers, Wholesale Flowers by the bunch or the case no minimum order. Nationwide to your door delivery.wholesale wedding flowerswedding flowers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Premium wedding flowers from the finest U.S. growers, Wholesale Flowers by the bunch or the case no minimum order. Nationwide to your door delivery.wholesale wedding flowerswedding flowers

    ReplyDelete