Friday, December 16, 2011

How to make your own holiday gift basket

Yesterday my dad had shoulder surgery. It went great, he's fine! I talked to him last night and he was surprisingly alert and surprisingly not drugged out. Since he's going to be out of work for 6 weeks and probably incredibly bored, I decided to get him a gift basket. However, he's also diabetic. And it is hard to find a gift basket that won't put you in a sugar coma as it is. 

So, I took on the daunting task of making one myself. And it was incredibly fun! The great part about it was being able to fill it with sugar-free treats and savories AND crossword puzzles AND a little something for the pups.


First, I bought the contents at Target and Barnes & Noble. I bought sugar-free candies and cookies, Hickory Farms gift pack (with sausage, cheese and crackers), nuts, doggie toys, crossword puzzle book and a magazine. Then, I took a trip to Michael's to buy everything ON SALE! I bought the basket (50% off), the treat containers, ribbon, bows, a silly ornament and a floral pick
Yes, this is for a man, muhaha! But, I didn't really care. It's probably one of the few times in my life I will actually make a gift basket so I went all out and had fun with it. The down side? It cost $23 to ship. Wah wah waaaaaaah.

12 comments:

  1. It turned out great! I love making gift baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love all the goodies you included! Boo to shipping prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty! Thanks for popping by and the comment. I'm 'following' you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great selection - agree about the shipping price though! If only one could get a magic carpet and put gifts for friends and family scattered around the globe on that!

    Hope everyone has a really great Christmas - and maybe, if they have time to spare, you'd like to drop by and read about the toys I make and post about (www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com and/or www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com). Maybe you'll find some ideas for next Christmas then!!!

    Prosperous New Year to one and all, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful and thoughtful daughter - great job! Hope your Dad makes a smooth quick recovery! Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. michelle, this is such a lovely, personal gift! you are so sweet!
    glad to hear your dad is doing well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. This looks amazing! I bet he loves to receive it!

    (thanks for visiting my blog btw!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome idea, michelle. you know what he likes better than any gift basket place, so he'll love it! beautiful. thanks for reminding us to do things ourselves. joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for the very sweet comments! He did love the gift basket, especially the sausage, lol!

    Thanks Aunt Trudy! :-) He seems to be doing really well. I need to call him today since I didn't hear from him over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that your father is doing so much better after the surgery. And I LOVE this gift basket idea ... it def does look like FUN .. and the best part .. it's personal = made with love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ada! My dad also tells me the treats are already gone, lol!

    ReplyDelete