Photo by ee-photography
Here's what you'll need:
1. Clear glass vase-This is from Hobby Lobby. I just picked it up at the store. I waited for them to go 40% off though, woot! It's about 8 inches tall. Any vase will do though, just make sure it's tall enough for the branch to be stable.
2. Sand-This is from Michael's. They have lots of colors. This is called sage green.
3. Preserved orchids-These are real! We chose the color "Purple Mauve." Perhaps a little redundant? These came from Save-on-crafts, which is an awesome online store! They really have great prices (except the Manzanita!). These orchids come in so many colors and they have other great preserved flowers too. Great quality stuff.
4. Manzanita branches-We bought the ones from Blooms & Branches. We chose 18" ones. You can buy them in bulk or singles. They have the best prices that I've found, including shipping. You have to really watch out for shipping on these, it can run high at some places. You can also sometimes get these at the florist, but it was hard to come by for me.
1. Step 1 and step 2 are pretty interchangeable. It just depends on how you like working. First place the sand in the vase. Then wiggle the branch into the sand. This is all the support you will need. It stays very well in just sand.2. Use hot glue to place the orchids into a "V" in the branches. You'll have plenty. it just makes a nice place for the flower to site securely. You won't really be able to see the hot glue, but if you want a pretty arrangement from all sides you can glue another flower to the other side of the first one. We glued 3-4 orchids per branch, but we had other decorations on them as well.
3. Ta-da! That's it! But, we wanted to add some extras to ours. Customize it however you want:
a) We added candle holders with fake tea lights. Use a chain to secure the candle holder
or buy something pre-made to hang.
b) We also added little iridescent beaded strings. Our friend hand strung these, thanks
Cari! She used different beads of varying sizes. Larger chandelier crystals would look
c) For the reception we tied a ribbon around the vase and tied a bow.
d) For the ceremony we took a large square of satin fabric and tied a contrasting ribbon