Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wedding guestbook alternative

We knew we didn't want a guestbook. The chances of us ever opening up this book again was next to nothing. We wanted to do something different (and truth be told we also wanted a picture of us on the wall without seeming too narcissistic!). So, we ordered a canvas of one of our engagement photos and I mixed in a little bit of my illustrations from our invitations. It's all printed on a canvas. We made sure to include a large black border. Then we bought a silver gel pen for everyone to sign our picture. It's a nice memento from our wedding that we will eventually hang on our wall.


If you don't want to use your own photo like us, use a framed art print and have your guests sign the matte. You can always change out the art when your style changes.

We bought ours through Miller's, but we had to go through a photographer friend. You can buy canvases at many places, just google "photo canvas" and you'll find tons. 

7 comments:

  1. If it looks entirely too big for us NOT to be narcissistic, that's because it came out a lot bigger than we thought. From what I remember, that is about 24" x 30", which for some reason doesn't sound that big. Heh, oops! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! It probably should have been a little bit smaller. We just wanted to make sure to have enough room for everyone to sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! We didn't want your typical guestbook either because I knew it would just sit in a box in the attic. Instead, we had a guest book tree-- guests signed self-adhesive leaves and put them onto the tree. I decided against the thumbprint tree because I didn't want to creep our guests out by "finger printing" them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really cute! That's a great idea. Hehe I think we would have done that if we'd thought of it. We love trees and had small trees as centerpieces at our wedding. I've never heard of this thumbprint tree, but yeah that sounds creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The illustration is cute! I don't think it's narcissistic to hang a wedding picture, even without signatures. Even if it's GIGANTIC. Hahaha.

    My best friend did something along these lines at her wedding--I dimly recall everyone signing a mat that later went in a framed wedding picture of some kind. I swear I have seen it in her house a million times and cannot picture it for the life of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha thanks! It doesn't look gigantic in our apartment at least! I went to a wedding before ours where they used a matte. It's a good idea for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See I feel the opposite of David. I told him that was gonna be huge, but I think it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete